Residential Treatment Centers For Teens That Struggle With Depression
Residential treatment centers are full time programs designed to provide a therapeutically immersive environment for troubled teens. Issues such as substance abuse, defiance, low self-esteem and depression are things that can severely impact a teen’s development and ability to function effectively in day to day life. Full time programs are generally a last resort for teens that are not responding to outpatient care or help from their parents. While the idea of sending your teen away may seem drastic or intimidating, remember that some only thrive when removed from their daily routine and triggers.
Although the curriculum varies depending on each individual facility, most employ a combination of group, individual and family therapies combined with healthy recreation and academics. Depression is similar to other conditions in that it is often the symptom of something deeper. The goal of teen treatment programs is to help each resident identify and target what is causing his behavior or lack of self-worth. This approach to healing from the inside out is more effective than teaching teens how to simply mask or redirect their symptoms. There are a number of things that you should be aware of as you research different program options.
- Individualized Plans – Every teen is different, especially when it comes to the root of their depression. Therefore, there is no ‘one size fits all’ when it comes to treatment. A good facility will evaluate each teen upon arrival in order to determine his medical, behavioral, emotional and social needs. Based on this assessment, the staff can craft a plan of care that is individualized. Each treatment plan includes a mixture of therapies as well as healthy, interactive activities that boost self-esteem and develop a sense of teamwork.
- Academics – Some facilities offer accredited academic programs in order to help tutor students or help them repair failed grades. The goal is to help each resident get on track to graduate on target with his peers at his home school.
- One-on-one Coaching – Individual attention from counselors and therapists is particularly important for teens struggling with depression. While a common symptom is to retreat and push others away, experienced staff can draw him out and help him engage in activities that boost his confidence and help him identify his strengths. One on one attention also allows the staff to alter the plan of care as he works his way through the program.
- Better Communication – Almost every teen entering a treatment program needs help improving their communication skills. In teens with depression, this could mean learning to ask for what they need or effectively standing up for themselves. Interactive recreational activities and a safe, supportive environment allow troubled teens to practice these skills.
- Respite – Dealing with a seriously depressed teen can be emotionally draining on the caretaker and many parents feel guilty about that. Residential treatment centers offer emotional respite for parents, while their teen is in a safe, secure environment dedicated to helping him overcome his issues. When it is time to transition home, both parties are better able to make a fresh start for a more improved relationship.
Liahona Academy, located in southern Utah, is a residential treatment facility specializing in helping troubled teen boys from throughout the country overcome issues such as depression. Please contact us todayat 1-800-675-8101 for a free consultation.