Raising a troubled teenager can be emotionally and physically exhausting for parents. You may feel as though you have tried everything possible to help your child with his behavioral issues with very little to show for your efforts. When your teen has failed to respond to all other options, a residential treatment center might be the right move for your son. Residential treatment programs are facilities which provide full time therapy and care for teens struggling with a variety of issues. Although many parents have a hard time with the idea of sending their son away from home, it may be the best option for him for a variety of reasons.
- A full time treatment facility offers teens the opportunity to take a complete break from their current environment and social group, which may be contributing to negative habits and daily temptations. Teens have the opportunity to start over in a completely new environment
- Teens and their parents are able to take a monitored break from each other. At a certain point, the constant power clashes and disciplinary activity blocks good communication. Families at this point are able to survive, but not move forward. When each party gets some distance from the other in order to work on better communication skills and coping techniques, they can come together again in a better place to rebuild a healthy relationship.
- Residential treatment programs offer much needed respite for emotionally exhausted parents. While their teen works on turning his life around in a safe and supportive environment, parents are able to recover and prepare for the changes that are needed when their son returns home.
- Treatment programs offer individual coaching and guidance for each boy. There is no one size fits all option for therapy and teens are assessed when they arrive in order to craft a plan of care that addresses their specific needs. Caring and experienced counselors and therapists work closely with each boy to make sure that he is reaching his goals.
- It is particularly important for parents to know that residential treatment programs are not the same as “boot camp” style options, which rely on physical punishment, manipulation and intimidation in order to scare teens into good behavior. Recent studies have shown that the results of such programs are very short term. Residential treatment facilities focus on helping each boy gain the tools he needs in order to cope with daily temptations and communicate effectively with peers and authority figures.
Liahona Academy, located in southern Utah, is a residential treatment facility specializing in helping troubled teen boys overcome their issues and develop a better relationship with their parents. With almost 15 years of experience, the caring staff at Liahona Academy is dedicated to giving your son the supportive and therapeutic environment he needs in order to meet his goals and return home to you a happier and healthier individual. For a free consultation, contact us today at 1-800-675-8101.