It can be discouraging to spend all your time and energy trying to help your troubled teen and see very little to show for all your efforts. When your teen fails to respond to every other option you have tried, it may be time to consider more intensive therapeutic care. Residential treatment programs are facilities offering full time therapy and help for teens struggling with a variety of behavior modification issues. Although the idea of sending your teen away from home might seem extreme or intimidating, there are many reasons why it may be the best thing you can do for him.
- A full time treatment facility allows a struggling teen to take a complete break from his environment and social group, which may be contributing to his problems. Teens have the opportunity to heal and make changes in a completely new environment.
- Teens and their parents engaging in constant power struggles often lose the ability to communicate effectively with each other. In order to move forward, each party needs to be able to take a step back and work on better communication and coping skills. Residential treatment programs allow teens and parents to spend some time apart, while helping each gain the tools they need to successfully rebuild their relationship.
- Parenting a troubled teen can be mentally and emotionally exhausting. Even the most loving and conscientious parent can get burnt out after years of struggle. Residential treatment programs allow parents to get the respite they need, while their teen is in a safe and supportive environment devoted to helping him become a healthier and happier individual.
- Residential treatment programs are more individualized than others options, such as therapeutic boarding schools. Each teen is assessed on arrival in order to create a unique plan of care and the overall small group size allows them to receive more one on one attention from therapists and counselors.
- You should know that residential treatment centers are not the same as “boot camp” or military style options. Such programs rely on physical punishment, intimidation and manipulation in order to scare teens into better behavior, but are rarely effective in the long term. The primary goal of residential treatment programs is to help each teen identify his underlying issues and then gain the skills he needs in order to cope with day to day life.
Liahona Academy is a residential treatment facility located in southern Utah. We specialize in helping troubled teen boys turn their lives around and develop a better relationship with family members and peers. The qualified staff at Liahona Academy has 15 years of experience in providing the kind of supportive and therapeutic environment troubled teens need in order to thrive. For a free consultation, contact us today at 1-800-675-8101.