Therapeutic Programs For Troubled BoysLast Updated: February 18, 2022
Being a parent of a troubled boy can be incredibly difficult, especially as they grow into being troubled teenage boys. There are many options to help support parents of troubled boys, from parenting seminars to residential treatment centers for troubled boys. All of these programs offer to help those troubled boys straighten out their lives but not all of them are sufficient to address the issues.
Why Choose Therapeutic Programs For Troubled Boys
Many resources for dealing with a troubled boy encourage parents to set stricter rules, enforced harsher penalties for rule-breaking, or send their troubled boys away to youth boot camps where their sons will be compelled to follow military-like discipline.
While these types of resources or troubled boys programs may succeed in correcting negative behaviors for a short-time, it tends to not be a long-term solution as it does not address the root cause behind the troubled behaviors or emotional issues.
To address the root cause behind troubled boys’ behaviors/issues, boys require more than simple behavior modification to help them to change. While learning to correct their actions is an important aspect for troubled teen boys, it needs to be paired with a full spectrum therapeutic program. With a full spectrum therapeutic program where they can learn to get what they want in a healthy responsible way, troubled boys can successfully change their lives.
Parents See Their Troubled Boys Progress At Liahona Treatment Center
Liahona is a premier residential treatment center which runs a successful therapeutic program for troubled boys. We have decades of experience treating troubled youth and helping them become happy and outstanding young men. Our therapeutic program manages this in a variety of ways.
- Immersive Best Practice Therapy - Liahona employs licensed therapists, a psychiatric care provider, as well as a full medical team which specialize in working with troubled boys and their family. They are all part of the treatment team which develops your son’s individualized treatment plan. All therapy follows accepted best practice treatment approaches to provide comprehensive, effective treatment. You son will have weekly individual/family therapy sessions, and confidential phone calls with parents. He will also have group therapy five days a week so he can both give support to his peers and be supported in turn.
- Tailored Academics - Many troubled boys who come to Liahona have fallen behind academically. This aspect of troubled behavior is common, which is why Liahona employs a team of state-licensed teachers to help your son catch back up academically with his peers. Liahona also can provide tutors so your son can receive the individualized help that he may need.
- Structured Living - While in the progress of rebuilding their lives, troubled boys need a high amount of structure to help them develop new, positive behaviors. While we can and will adjust the daily program structure based on the boys’ individual needs, we have found that giving the troubled boys in our program a structured daily program to follow allows them to grow in a secure manner.
We keep our enrollment limited so we can give quality care to the youth in our care. Due to the limited enrollment and our structured program, parents can track progress. Parents will be provided with an update from either the case manager or their therapist on a weekly basis.
Common issues treated in Therapeutic Programs
Most troubled boys can benefit from being in a therapeutic program. However, some kinds of troubled behaviors are best suited to be treated in therapeutic programs over other options.
- ADD/ADHD - These attention and hyperactivity disorders are common among troubled boys and are often accompanied by perceived negative behaviors such as defiance, angry outbursts, slacking on responsibilities, and more. Therapeutic programs are especially good at helping boys with ADD/ADHD learn new coping methods and overcoming poor habits as well as cognitive development to improve their ability to focus.
- Mood disorders - Teens suffering from depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, bipolar, and other mood-related disorders have found therapeutic programs a great place to address their issues. The structured living allows them to enjoy consistency while having access to therapists/treatment team throughout the week to help them manage their mood disorder.
- Anger management - Many troubled boys are prone to lashing out either verbally or physically when angry. Therapeutic programs make a point of teaching boys more positive ways to manage their anger as well as identify and treat the underlying issues which may be causing the anger.
- Substance abuse/addiction - Many of our residents have battled with substance abuse and other addictive behaviors. Our therapeutic program modalities help troubled boys address their addictions, develop new coping methods, and treat underlying issues so they don’t return to their addictions to cope/ self medicate. The treatment is being able to be completed while keeping the youth away from negative influences and access to substances.
Be sure to talk to our enrollment specialists about your son’s specific needs so they can best advise you whether your son is a good fit for Liahona Treatment Center.
Choose Liahona’s Therapeutic Program For Troubled Boys
Liahona is an excellent residential treatment center for troubled boys. We are located in Southern Utah and have a history of helping troubled teenage boys grow to become happy and successful young men. Our treatment staff are dedicated to providing a top-notch therapeutic program, and to help troubled boys become the men that you as the parent see inside of them.
While it can be difficult to make the choice to send your son away for therapeutic treatment, your decision can represent the turning point in your troubled son’s life. They will be in a safe, supportive, positive peer therapeutic environment.
Contact us today to help your son start his transformation.