Earning A High School Degree While Attending A Residential Treatment Center

Many troubled teens struggle with academics and their parents worry that their teens will never receive a high school diploma. That is why many parents choose to send their troubled teens to a residential treatment center, so their teens cannot only receive help changing negative behaviors but also receive a high school diploma.

Choose An Accredited Program For Your Teen

While some people believe there is no difference between receiving a high school diploma and a G.E.D., this is not the case. There are several potential downsides to your teen receiving a G.E.D. rather than a high school diploma.

  • Employment - Some employers consider a G.E.D. as a mark that the holder was not dedicated enough to complete a high school diploma. This may cause G.E.D. holders to lose out on future job opportunities to those who do have high school diplomas.
  • Enlistment - The United States armed forces have limited enlistment spots for those who have a G.E.D. as it is considered a lower tier of education.
  • College - While all colleges approach G.E.D. holders differently, many students attempting to enroll in college after receiving a G.E.D. may have to take placement and assessment tests to prove they are ready for college. Also, some college scholarships require the recipient to have a high school diploma and not a G.E.D.

Some troubled teen programs are not required to offer an accredited educational program or they only offer academics which will ready teens to take the GED. Some states, such as Utah, require their residential treatment centers to have accredited educational programs. So, before you send your troubled teen to a residential treatment program, make sure they have an accredited educational program which can lead to a high school diploma.

Residential Treatment Offers Specialized Educational Help

The American public education system is very much a one-size-fits-all with minimal exceptions. Parents with children who have academic struggles often have to battle with school districts to gain extra aid for their children. Residential treatment centers offer specialized education help to troubled teens and work with parents to understand the teens' various educational needs. Some kinds of academic aid offered by residential treatment centers, like Liahona Academy, offer are:

  • State-licensed teachers - To ensure your troubled teen is receiving a top-quality education, accredited educational residential treatment centers will supply state-licensed teacher with small classrooms so your teen can receive personalized instruction.
  • Certified tutors - Along with the small classes, the best programs offer tutors so all students can receive the academic aid they need.
  • IEP and 504 Plan compliance - Accredited educational programs at residential treatment centers will fully comply with any IEP or 504 Plan that your teen has from their last school district.
  • Therapeutic plan - Unlike the public school system, your troubled teen's teachers will be aware of your teen's therapeutic needs. So, while the public school system makes few allowances for teens with mental health problems, residential treatment centers will make adjustments for issues such as depression, anxiety, ADD/ADHD, anger management, and more.

You don't have to give up your dreams of your teen graduating with a high school diploma when you choose to send them to a residential treatment center. At Liahona Academy, we take your teen son's education and therapeutic needs seriously. Contact us today and we will be happy to discuss your son's particular needs, from behavioral to educational.

Speak Your Mind