Boarding schools serve as a popular recourse for parents who are desperate to correct delinquent behavior in their adolescent children. But popular fiction and stereotypes have created a negative image of these facilities that creates apprehension in parents. While it would be naïve to completely discount potential areas of concern as any industry has examples of abuse and nefarious activity, reputable boarding schools will address these issues head on and ensure parents that they are entrusting their children to an institution with integrity, competence and legitimate care for safety.
Fears of Abuse and Emotional Trauma
Parents commonly fear that boarding schools are bastions of abuse and emotional trauma. The following are common fears parents have expressed concerning these types of programs:
- Complete separation of youths from their families might worsen behavioral problems and impede their progress.
- The aggressive therapies might harm and emotionally scar the youths, leading to even more erratic behavior.
- Parents and schools alike hold legitimate concerns of abuse any time that adults care for youths.
Look for These Safety Indicators in Teen Help Programs
Indicators of a legitimate and caring program will have the follow aspects in place:
- Open lines of contact and communication between families, attendees and the institutions. This will ensure that parents are privy to their children’s progress and can monitor for possible suspicious behaviors.
- Reputable schools will also develop proven disciplinary techniques to stop unwanted behaviors without resorting to physical or emotional abuse.
- The school will opt for an approach tailored to the specific needs of the teen in question.
- Reputable institutions like Liahona Academy will also practice authoritative discipline without slipping into lackadaisical or tyrannical education styles.
Look for A Lack of Credentials
Some institutions fail to obtain the proper academic credentials necessary to teach the curriculum. However, statistics show that boarding school students tend to report themselves and their peers as being more engaged in the work and more diligent in their studies. The best schools will have qualified teachers who will share their knowledge with their students. Furthermore, many of the graduates of these programs report extensive career opportunities upon completion. While any education institution can suffer from one or two bad teachers, a boarding school can hold their teachers to higher educational standards because of the reduced classroom size. Thus, your children have a greater likelihood of receiving a competent educator than they do in a public classroom setting.
Improved Peer Bonding
Boarding schools also offer youths the chance for closer bonding with their peers. By providing a structure that cultivates friendships, students can come away with more lasting friendships than the often turmoil-ridden public schools where unhealthy influences can poison building solid relationships.