Residential treatment programs are full time facilities designed to provide immersive therapeutic care for severely troubled teens. The full time option that these programs provide allow teens to be surrounded by an environment dedicated to helping them overcome their specific concerns while teaching them how to communicate effectively with both peers and adults. Residential treatment programs are often a last resort by parents whose teen did not respond to outpatient treatments or need constant monitoring for psychiatric needs.
Although the curriculum is different at each individual treatment center, it is important for parents to know that no program should involve physical punishment, manipulation or intimidation. A residential treatment program is not the same as a “boot camp” intended to scare kids into good behavior. Programs such as these have been proven to have only short term results. Rather, residential treatment programs are intended to teach troubled teens the skills they need in order to effect long term changes. These facilities offer a combination of options and benefits for their residents.
- Individualized Plans– There is no ‘one size fits all’ when it comes to therapeutic treatment. Each teen is evaluated upon arrival to determine his medical, behavioral, emotional and social needs. A plan of care is created based on the results of this assessment. Each treatment plan includes a mixture of individual and group therapy as well as healthy interactive activities.
- Academics – Some facilities offer accredited teachers in order to help teens improve or fix failing grades. Ideally, teens graduate from the program on target with their peers at school.
- One-on-one Coaching– Teens in residential treatment programs receive individual attention from trained counselors and therapists. This full time attention is designed so that each teen can have his plan of care amended as they improve, while developing healthy relationships with authority figures.
- Better Communication– Almost every teen entering a treatment program needs help learning to communicate more effectively with both adults and peers. Healthy, interactive activities as well as a safe and supportive family style environment allow teens to practice good skills.
- Respite– Residential treatment centers offer respite for both teens and their parents. While their son is living in an environment dedicated to helping him turn his life around, parents can take an emotional break from the constant power clashes that come from raising a troubled teen. Both parties can come together after graduation with improved skills for a better relationship.
Liahona Academy, located in southern Utah, is a residential treatment facility specializing in helping struggling teen boys from throughout the country overcome their issues and get back on the path to successful adulthood. Please contact us today at 1-800-675-8101 for a free consultation.