- What is a therapeutic boarding school? – A therapeutic boarding school is a facility that manages and houses troubled teens full time. Programs like these have counselors and therapists that are trained to help struggling boys overcome their day to day challenges and learn the skills they need in order to lead successful lives.
- Who attends therapeutic boarding school? – Teens with severe behavioral issues like anger, defiance, depression, substance abuse and mental disorders can attend therapeutic boarding school in order to get their issues treated.
- What happens there? – Although each facility will have a different curriculum, many offer a variety of therapy modalities as well as recreational activities and life skills opportunities. Selecting a program with multiple options gives teen boys the best chance of receiving an individualized plan of care that will help them meet their individual needs and goals.
- How many residents attend? Again, the number of students in attendance depends on the individual facility, but many successful programs maintain a smaller group setting in order to enable more one-on-one coaching from the therapists and counselors.
- How long is the program? The length of stay depends on the severity of each teen’s issues and needs, although the average stay is between 6 and 9 months. Most facilities place emphasis on reaching goals over solid time frames.
- Is funding available to help with the cost? Most states don’t offer grants for voluntary teen help programs, but there are private loans and scholarships available to help cover the costs of your teen’s stay. Check with the financial director at the facility you are considering for possible options.
- Is accredited schooling offered? Most therapeutic boarding schools offer academics in their curriculum; however, each state has different requirements for accreditation. Make sure you check the laws in the state you are considering as well as the actual facility to ensure that the credits your son earns can be transferred.
- How much contact do I get with my teen? While each program handles the amount of parental contact a little differently, most offer less during the initial stages of a teen’s stay while he settles in. More contact is encouraged as he works through the program.
- Can I speak personally to parents of previous students? Satisfied families are the best endorsement of an effective facility. During your initial consultation with the programs you are researching, ask to be put in touch with individuals that can answer your questions from a more personal perspective.
Liahona Academy is a residential treatment facility in southern Utah. We are dedicated to helping teens with behavioral issues gain the skills they need to overcome their challenges and live a successful life. Please contact us at 1-800-675-8101 for a free consultation or to discuss the ways our program might benefit your son.